Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Saturday poem: Vertigo

The Saturday poem: Vertigo

by Les Murray
Les Murray
'Soon you’ll be gasping up landings having left your balance in the car' … Les Murray. Photograph: Adam Hollingworth
Last time I fell in a shower-room
I bled like a tumbril dandy
and the hotel longed to be rid of me.
Taken to the town clinic, I
described how I tripped on a steel
rim and found my head in a wardrobe.
Scalp-sewn and knotted and flagged
I thanked the Frau Doktor and fled,
wishing the grab-bar of age might
be bolted to all civilisation
and thinking of Rome’s eighth hill
heaped up out of broken amphorae.


When, any time after sixty,
or any time before, you stumble
over two stairs and club your forehead
among rake or hoe, brick or fuel-tin,
that’s time to call the purveyor
of steel pipe and indoor railings
and soon you’ll be gasping up landings
having left your balance in the car
from which please God you’ll never see
the launchway of tyres off a brink.
Later comes the sunny day when
street detail gets whitened to mauve


and people hurry you, or wait, quiet.

From Les Murray’s Waiting for the Past (Carcanet £9.99).

No comments: