Saturday, August 15, 2015

The latest from the front lines of literature

Work in Progress: The Latest from the Front Lines of Literature
The World in Perpetual Motion
Stephen Emerson
On Lucia Berlin
Lucia Berlin was as close a friend as I've ever had. She was also one of the most signal writers I've ever encountered.

The latter fact is what I want to write about here. Her extraordinary life - its color, its afflictions, and the heroism she showed especially in the fight against a brutal drinking habit - is evoked in the biographical note at the back of A Manual for Cleaning Women.

Read on...
Grounded in Memory
Jane Urquhart
On Writing
I first visited Gander Airport, Newfoundland in the autumn of 1992, after a hair-raising flight from St John's where I was Memorial University's first "come-from-away" writer-in-residence. I had no idea at the time that the journey would form the basis for the beginning of a novel called The Night Stages that would be published 25 years later, or that such a large number of images from the day would be so permanently implanted in my visual memory.

Read on...

No comments: