Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Anne Fine: 'I didn't ever want to become a writer – just to be left alone to read!'

One of the most celebrated children’s authors of our time, who penned stories including Madame Doubtfire and The Diary of a Killer Cat, speaks to site member CaraErica about her life, career and of course books, books, books!

Anne Fine
Anne Fine: A subject comes along – you overhear something curious or something happens to a friend of yours – and it’s as if you have an antennae. Photograph: Murdo Macleod
Anne Fine is one of the most celebrated children’s authors of our time with over 50 books published in 45 different languages; she has won countless awards, received an OBE in 2003 and even been Children’s Laureate. Basically, she’s seen it all. So going to meet her was a pretty daunting prospect; it was as if a fiery dragon was waiting for me on the other side of the door!
Madame Doubtfire
I’d grown up alongside her books: Goggle Eyes, Madame Doubtfire and The Diary of a Killer Cat were my childhood. I was terrified she’d shatter the awe-inspiring image I held of her. Upon seeing her my brain flashed through the options: a) freeze there gawking; b) run; or, c) start the interview. Then she drew back her lips, revealing a brief flash of teeth. This left me with only one sane option and so our conversation began

During your career you have written more than 50 books for all different ages. Where do you draw your inspiration from and how do you keep coming up with new ideas?
More

No comments: