Saturday, August 08, 2015

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

A cowboy’s odyssey into a vanished world was a poignant companion in Scotland’s Hebrides, where the bleak and beautiful coexist, and family ties are woven from ancient, comforting cloth

Cowboys
Cowboys Photograph: Lucas Jackson/Reuters

I was raised in an itinerant military family: four of us, 10 months here, a year there. Dad on tour, mum, my sister and I in another impersonal quarter. If Mum wasn’t packing the MFO folding wooden crates, she was unpacking them. When people ask me where I’m from, I say Scotland or Edinburgh, that answer hollow, inauthentic, actually I’m not from anywhere, I’m an “army brat”.

My father was uprooted too, adopted as a baby by a good man, a labourer for Scottish and Newcastle breweries in Edinburgh and his wife, housekeeper to a garrulous old tea planter. His birth certificate had been signed by his mother in a hospital for unmarried mothers. She was from a tiny hamlet on the Isle of Lewis at the northernmost tip of the Outer Hebrides.
More

No comments: