Photo Credit: Marion Ettlinger

Poet and novelist Naja Marie Aidt's latest is the novel Rock, Paper, Scissors, an engrossing and sharp-edged look at a collapsing family that also brings a poet's attention to language to the story. Aidt picks her 10 favorite novels by poets.
As a poet, it is almost impossible for me to read literature not centered on the language itself – which is why I have severe difficulties reading most crime fiction. A good plot or great story is not enough for me. I need the language to be precise, sensual, intense, and distinctive. 
I love novelists like Vladimir Nabokov, Marguerite Duras, Paula Fox (please read Desperate Characters if you haven’t already!), and Per Petterson for just this reason. But these aren’t poets; even if their language verges on the poetic, they still fit the usual paradigm that poets write only poetry, fiction writers only fiction.
More