Sunday, July 12, 2015

Shami Chakrabarti: To Kill A Mockingbird made me a lawyer

Atticus Finch’s advice to his daughter inspired Shami Chakrabarti’s career as a lawyer and campaigner. The director of Liberty explains why Harper Lee’s themes still resonate today

Civil rights activist Rosa Parks on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama
Civil rights activist Rosa Parks (centre, wearing dark coat) at the end of the Montgomery bus boycott, 1956. Photograph: Don Cravens/Life/Getty Images
The justice secretary and I don’t seem to agree on much at the moment. But one thing we do have in common: last year, Michael Gove wrote, “Do I think Of Mice And Men, Lord Of The Flies and To Kill A Mockingbird are bad books? Of course not. I read and loved them all.”

Admittedly, he was responding to reports that he wanted to ban Harper Lee from the GCSE syllabus, in favour of English writers – a claim he denied. But since Gove might preside over our justice system for the next half-decade, I am delighted he loved To Kill A Mockingbird; in fact, I would suggest he take a break from drawing up plans to repeal the Human Rights Act and reread it. Perhaps it will make him think twice.

The novel had a profound effect on me. When I first read Mockingbird, as a teenager in 1980s north-west London, I was utterly transported – to small-town 1930s Alabama, a place of spittoons, shingles, scolds and smilax. To Maycomb, with its chinaberry trees, rabbit-tobacco and single taxi – where there was “no hurry, for there was nowhere to go”. To the world of the wonderfully funny and audacious Scout – a timeless heroine for every little girl with a head full of questions and an appetite for a good fight (“He said I was the only girl he would ever love, then he neglected me. I beat him up, but it did no good”). It seemed so real to me; I could taste the scuppernongs and smell the sweet talcum.  More

No comments: