Sunday, July 12, 2015

How playing Scout in To Kill A Mockingbird changed my life

Mary Badham was only nine when she was cast as the lead in the film of To Kill A Mockingbird. She recalls the role of a lifetime

Mary Badham and Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird
‘Gregory Peck will always be Atticus. He was so wonderful. I miss him a lot,’ says Mary Badham. Photograph: Allstar
There had been a cattle call throughout the south, to let them know there was an audition for To Kill A Mockingbird. My mom had to ask my dad, who said no. She said, “Now, Henry, what are the chances that the child will get the part anyway?”

When we went in for the audition, they gave us the script, and I read it and loved it. My mom said that the next morning I was popping out with lines already – Scout’s lines. She knew I had something.
I went to New York for a screen test, and then to California to film it. I didn’t read the book until after I had my daughter. How many times have you seen a film and read the book, and it alters your impression? I had my whole life up there on screen, and I was perfectly happy with the way it was.
More

No comments: