Sunday, May 17, 2015

Bookseller Ann Patchett: 'I've Learned So Much'

Shelf Awareness

"[Owning a bookstore] gives back huge things to my writing and my life. Before Parnassus, I was somebody who just sat around and read Thomas Hardy. Now I am current and involved and stretched; I've learned so much about literature just by being a better, wider reader. I also think it's a new world order, and writers have to start taking more responsibility for the health of the industry. We all have to participate in having the world that we want: that's exciting and empowering."


--Ann Patchett, co-owner of Parnassus Books, Nashville, Tenn., in a Newsday article about her appearance this weekend at BookHampton in East Hampton, N.Y., for a talk entitled "Ann Patchett Tells You What to Read"


'Behind-the-Scenes Secrets of Bookstores'
"For book lovers, there's no more magical place than the local bookstore. And while most of us have probably spent a significant amount of time wandering the aisles, few of us know what goes on behind the scenes," Mental Floss observed in revealing "17 behind-the-scenes secrets of bookstores."

No comments: