Monday, April 20, 2015

The Saturday poem: The Laughing Receptionist in the GP’s Surgery


by Paul Durcan



Tiny gardens jungles of white magnolia.

Spring magnolia. Photograph: Anthony Devlin/PA

When I nip into the GP’s surgery
To pick up a repeat prescription
For anti-depressants and sleeping pills
I find the fair-haired receptionist
On her elbows with laughter,
For no reason other than that this April day
Is all sunlight and blue skies,
Street lined with limes of new green leaf,
Tiny gardens jungles of white magnolia.
She announces: “Today is the day
For buying a villa on the seafront:
I know I must win the Lottery –
But how can I win the Lottery
When I do not even remember
To buy a Lottery ticket?
And even then, in any case,
I forget to check the results!”
She is weeping with laughter.
I wade out into the street
And not caring if YOU are watching me
I pluck a blue tulip from a front garden,
Wade back in and present it to her.
I, too, am weeping with laughter
As I let myself out of the surgery and –
Dear Mrs Double Parking – I do not give a farthing
What you think – it’s spring!


From The Days of Surprise by Paul Durcan (Harvill Secker, £12).

No comments: