Friday, April 17, 2015

Age shall not weary them: Diana Athill, 97, and Edna O'Brien, 84, are stars of London book fair


Athill will publish Alive, Alive Oh! next year, it is revealed, while O’Brien has a new novel about love on the way



Diana Athill
‘I haven’t got a long book in me, but I do love writing. ... Diana Athill Photograph: Eamonn McCabe

Diana Athill published her previous memoir, a Costa award-winning, and bestselling, reflection on ageing and death, at the age of 90. Intending it to be her final book, she called it Somewhere Towards the End. But the end, it turns out, is still a way off, as Athill is currently writing a further volume of memoir, to be published next year just in time for her 99th birthday.

“I’m very excited. I wasn’t expecting to do anything else, I’d thought I’d written my last book,” said Athill, speaking from her retirement home in Highgate. But “it’s great fun to be back at the typewriter. Well, not a typewriter, actually – my horrid little laptop, which I wrestle with: it’s wretched, always letting me down.”

Athill, now 97, is a legendary figure in publishing, having helped to set up, and then run, the publisher André Deutsch for 50 years, and working with authors from Jean Rhys to VS Naipaul. 
More

No comments: