Thursday, October 16, 2014

Man Booker prize-winner Richard Flanagan's acceptance speech in full

The Tasmanian author has won the prestigious award for his novel The Narrow Road to the Deep North, about prisoners and captors on the Burma railway

theguardian.com,

In Australia the Man Booker prize is seen as something of a chicken raffle. I just didn’t expect to end up being the chicken.I do not come out of a literary tradition. I come from a tiny mining town in the rainforest in an island at the end of the world. My grandparents were illiterate. And I never expected to stand here before you in this grand hall in London as a writer being so honoured.I do not share the pessimism of the age about the novel. They are one of our greatest spiritual, aesthetic and intellectual inventions. As a species it is story that distinguishes us, and one of the supreme expressions of story is the novel. Novels are not content. Nor are they are a mirror to life or an explanation of life or a guide to life.Novels are life, or they are nothing.  More

No comments: