Tuesday, August 12, 2014

PRH Chair Gail Rebuck Appointed to House of Lords

Shelf Awareness

Penguin Random House U.K. chair Dame Gail Rebuck has been appointed to the House of Lords as a Labour peer, the Bookseller reported.
Gail rebuck"I feel very privileged to be joining the House of Lords as I have always seen politics and Parliament as vital forces shaping our national and global lives," said Rebuck, who also sits on the company's global board of representatives. "I hope to make a contribution to debates and legislation based on over 30 years at the heart of the book publishing business. I have campaigned for literacy and literature, the arts, culture and education and I have focused on women's empowerment in the workforce increasing diversity at the top of companies.

"I look forward to championing the issues I have cared about for decades including investment in the arts, opening up access to the professions and supporting Britain's formidable creative industries.

"But my passion has always been books, both as a young editor and then as c.e.o. and now chair of our largest publishing company, so I will continue to do all I can to ensure that the life-changing power of reading is available to all."

No comments: