Sunday, August 03, 2014

A deepening disquiet - Philip Temple's new novel

Philip Temple at St Clair. Photo by Craig Baxter

By Shane Gilchrist on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 - Otago Daily Times

Philip Temple at St Clair. Photo by Craig Baxter


Philip Temple's new novel depicts a world riven with war, food shortages, epidemics, economic chaos and totalitarianism. Yet that bleak outlook is not fantasy, the Dunedin author tells Shane Gilchrist. 

Philip Temple is angry. He's angry about climate change, the depletion of resources, the rise of surveillance, unstable and/or unsustainable economic systems, inequality ... the list goes on.
Yet, in Temple's world, there is sunshine as well as clouds. Certainly, there's no shortage of laughter when the 75-year-old Dunedin author discovers a story arc (involving human ashes) in his latest work, MiSTORY, was entirely unintentional.
''It's a mixed situation,'' Temple muses in an interview earlier this week, discussing the key themes and motivations behind his dystopian 10th novel.
''I'm quite content that I'm healthy, which is a real plus, I can tell you. My energy levels haven't dropped much, and that is something that can happen at my age. Also, I'm happy with my general personal situation.
''But I can't help but get angry about what has happened to the environment as well as the desperate plight of some people.'' 
More

No comments: