Sunday, April 13, 2014

Matariki book in Prince William's hands

Royal Mission Accomplished


Photo credit: Philippa Stevenson, Tamahere Forum

A secret royal rendezvous that was off the media grid yesterday was the perfect place for Hamilton children’s author Sharon Holt to accomplish her own secret mission. The author has been sending the royal couple her Te Reo Singalong books over the past year and has always received a letter of thanks from staff. The last reply also included the couple’s official Christmas card.

“When I heard that the royals were coming to Hamilton in the same week as the release of my new Matariki book, I decided to find a way to get a signed copy of the book into royal hands,” says Sharon.

On Saturday morning, she travelled to each of the Hamilton royal visit venues to decide on the best place to achieve her goal, settling on the Pacific Aerospace driveway where fewer than 50 people were gathered. Dressed in her trademark ladybug outfit in the hope of drawing a bit of royal attention, she waited with the other hopefuls. The group saw Prince William up close as he arrived at the venue and Kate’s waving hand was spotted alongside a hint of green as her car sped past on its way to Rainbow Place. Sharon took photos and videos, but there was no opportunity to deliver her book.

Whilst waiting for the Prince’s royal entourage to leave Pacific Aerospace again, Sharon wondered out loud where the royal couple would meet before heading to Cambridge together. That’s when she heard about the rumoured rendezvous taking place at nearby Tamahere School.

“It made sense,” says Sharon, “as it’s a logical intersection point between Airport Road and the main highway heading to Cambridge.”

Sharon decided to take her chances and drove to the school to see if the rumours were true. A policeman at the entrance to the road leading to the school was a sure sign she was on the right track. “I told him I was here to present my Matariki book to the royal couple so he told me where to park. When I saw all the children and parents lined up and waiting, I felt really excited to be in on a secret that the media didn’t know about. But I still had to figure out how to get the book to Prince William.

When it was clear that all the good spots were taken, Sharon enlisted the help of a school parent she knew. “My friend handed the book to a girl at the front of the crowd and asked her to pass it to Prince William when he arrived,” says Sharon, who then went off to find a place to watch events unfold.

As the crowd waited for the royal cars to arrive, Sharon had time to reflect on her busy week sending hundreds of pre-ordered Matariki books out to teachers and parents. She and her husband had spent the previous three days packing and sending more than 1500 books to customers. “I was really happy that so many people wanted the new Matariki book, but this one book for the royal family was my big focus that day,” she says.

When Prince William arrived at the school, it wasn’t long before Sharon’s dream was realised. As he stepped out of the car and walked across the carpark, Prince William headed straight for the little girl waving the book. Sharon watched as he took the book, looked at it and spoke to the girl before giving her a high five. “I was so excited that I shouted out ‘he’s got my book, we did it’.”

Kate arrived soon after and the couple spent another minute or so with the children before getting into one car and travelling to Cambridge. It was “mission accomplished” for Sharon and time to drive back to Hamilton instead of braving the Cambridge crowds.

“Looking at this photo of Prince William holding my book and doing the high five, it reminded me of my goal when I first started sending the books to the royals for Prince George,” says Sharon. “I pictured that iconic shot of baby William with the buzzy bee and I hoped that one day I would have my own iconic shot of a prince with one of my Te Reo Singalong books.”





No comments: