Monday, March 10, 2014

Reading for Readers Workshop at Writers Week

I had the great pleasure of being one of three panellists at this workshop which was ably chaired by Linley Boniface. My fellow panellists were graphic artist/author Sarah Laing and award-winning short story writer Emma Martin. 

Before the panellists each spoke there was a lively discussion led by Linley involving the audience and the panel on such subjects as books and television,what books give you that television doesn't, books thst are made into movies, how we read and what we read. it was good stuff.
From experience at events like this I know how difficult it is to get audience participation but that was not a problem on this occasion and I put this down largely to Linley's skilful chairing and to the fact that the panel and the audience were on the same level, that is the panelists were not on a stage.

Emma spoke first and amongst other things addressed the question of whether reading as a writer is different from reading as a non-writer.
I spoke about the things that influence me as to what I read - reviews, word of mouth, prize winners, following articular authors etc and talkec about specific titles I had read from each of the eleven influences.
Sarah then gave us an impressive power point presentation of the basic rules for reading comics, how to read pictures and text at the same time.

It was a wonderful couple of hours, the audience went away happy as did those of us up the front. We then adjourned for a cup of tea and chat!


No comments: