Sunday, March 17, 2013

This Is the Worst Book Cover Ever



Gabe Habash -- March 14th, 2013 - PW



o-iluminado-el-resplandor-the-shining-stephen-king_MLA-F-124496690_5137
About a month ago, I was searching for something Stephen King-related to put on this fantastic blog. Scrolling down through rows and rows of Google images for The Shining, most of them screengrabs of Nicholson and the pre-chopped-up girls in the hallway, I saw, in thumbnail size, the above cover for O Iluminado. It looked strikingly similar to an 80s Pantene ad.
kelly lebrock pantene
I saved the cover on my desktop, knowing I wanted to share it with you all in some way, but not sure how. For weeks, I’d open the file and stare into O Iluminado‘s eyes, and then into her smaller set of eyes. I would look at it for so long it would change; I named the mysterious woman Flavia; she became strange to me and then familiar in her strangeness. I had so many questions.
Who is Flavia? In what public place is she on the cover? Why is she also in a little window?
But let us parse why this book cover is either the worst book cover ever or, perhaps, the most brilliant book cover ever.
More

No comments: