Sunday, March 17, 2013

Authors and Editors in Conversation

Rebecca Miller and Jonathan Galassi
Jonathan Galassi:  Rebecca, lots of people are going to be asking, Where did this all come from? I mean: a fly. I mean: a Jew in 18th-century France becoming a fly here and now. We're well beyond the bounds of realism here. Can you tell us what the first kernels of Jacob's Folly were, and where you found them?

Rebecca Miller: 
The first thing I wrote was in the spring of 2008. It was the moment where "reliable, true" Leslie Senzatimore, the volunteer fireman, is peeing on his front lawn as the moon sets. So all I had was this big, very good man peeing at dawn--and then I saw a creature above him, nestled in the sky--some kind of demon or sprite, a mischievous soul stuck as if between two harp strings in some sort of transmigration accident, laughing down at him. So I started with a human and a low-order divinity. This spirit/human dichotomy had been fascinating to me since I was a small child and used to stare and stare at my mother's tiny Mexican earthenware chapel that contained a few people praying, a priest blessing them, and the devil laughing down at them all from the roof.

No comments: