Sunday, November 04, 2012

Daily Mail loves NZ author's book



WHEN IN ROME BY NICKY PELLEGRINO (Orion £12.99)

When In Rome by Nicky Pellegrino
I loved this book so much I could hardly wait to get to the computer to type its praises. And as I have a broken arm at the moment, you can take that as the most ringing of endorsements.
The poverty-stricken life of Serafina is transformed after she lands a job as PA to Betty Lanza, wife of Fifties Italian singing sensation Mario.
I don’t know about you, but there’s absolutely nothing I like better than what I call ‘governess’ novels - about self-effacing servants of the famous, wealthy and capricious. This book has inside-track glamour in spades, and all the colour of La Dolce Vita-period Rome.
But there’s an irresistible layer of melancholy, too, as Serafina struggles to relate to the family she has left behind, and witnesses at first-hand the decline of the once all-conquering Lanzas. An original subject and beautifully handled. Brava, Nicky.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2226302/POPULAR-FICTION.html#ixzz2BCBUIiX4

No comments: