A mini concert in a library is a stretch too far for people who find the nostalgic days of silence in libraries comforting. Photo / Thinkstock

A mini concert in a library is a stretch too far for people who find the nostalgic days of silence in libraries comforting. Photo / Thinkstock

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think there's a place in a library for an Argentinian folk musician performing loud and frantic covers of pop songs.
It happened during last year's Rugby World Cup. I'd popped down to my then local library (Birkenhead) to work for an hour or two. The library is a regular escape when the home office gets too quiet and claustrophobic, or I need reference material. I was just getting comfortable when the music exploded from downstairs. Weird, I thought. A one-person flash mob? Surely the librarians will politely usher him out?
But no, he finished that song and launched into another. By this time other people were popping their heads up from their laptops and books. It was impossible to concentrate.
After about 15 minutes, I packed up and wandered downstairs. Sure enough, it was a one-man band, playing his South American heart out, right there in the foyer as a few librarians looked on benignly.
I quietly asked one of them how long it would go on.