Monday, March 19, 2012

Shelina Permalloo crowned UK Masterchef winner

Shelina Permalloo has been crowned the winner of MasterChef, after judges John Torode and Gregg Wallace said she brings ''sunshine to a plate''.
MasterChef: the Final Three - Tom Rennolds, Shelina Permalloo, Andrew Kojima
MasterChef: the Final Three - Tom Rennolds, Shelina Permalloo, Andrew Kojima Photo: BBC
The 29-year-old became the second woman to win the title in eight years after weeks of intense competition in the BBC1 culinary challenge, beating Andrew Kojima and Tom Rennolds.
She said: ''I am completely and utterly overwhelmed. I never thought it was going to be me that would win. The guys were so amazing and I just never thought it could happen to me.''
Shelina, who lives in Tooting, south London, grew up in Southampton in a Mauritian family where she learned all about the food her parents grew up with.
She said: ''My mum is a brilliant cook. I learnt everything from her. I'm basically her sous chef. She taught me to cook by intuition: never by using scales, always by sight and taste. So I developed a strong palate from a young age.
Full piece at Telegraph here.


And another story including pics of the winning dishes and more about the winner at the Mail Online here.

Footnote:
Shelina Permalloo has strong book trade connections having previously worked for Booktrust.
I will eagerly await her cookbook.

No comments: