Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why children will save books, and other lessons from an Aussie literary fest

by Dave Bidini - Canadian musician, journalist and author writing in the National Post.

One of the reasons e-books won’t destroy the book world is because almost anyone I know who owns a Kindle or similar digital device is over 40, and because they’re over 40, the same kids who begat Napster and file-sharing of rock ’n’ roll will run as far from the phenomenon as possible.
When Grandma’s seen reading her space age digi-book, junior will do the opposite. In fact, kids may save books, instead of destroying them. I hope it happens. I know my kids read books, and they read them lots. Which reminds me: I may not be around to make you, but, Renz and Cecilia: clean your room. This is also the power of writing: telling your kids what to do when you’re way far away.

Read his full, entertaining report on his visit to Australia here.

No comments: