Thursday, June 02, 2011

Iain Sharp greatly admires Allen Curnow

Illustration above (splendid I think) from Auckland city's Metro magazine excellent June issue by Chewed Pencil Studio. My thanks to them both for permission to reproduce it.

Allen Curnow's star may have dimmed a little but the 100th anniversary of his birth is a chance to make a fuss of one of our greatest poets.
So begins Iain Sharp's thoughtful two page tribute in the June issue of Auckland city's Metro magazine. Metro don't have an online edition so I'm afraid you'll have to be like me and go out and buy a copy if you wish to read the piece. Actually there are an impressive eight full pages on books.

Iain Sharp also reviews Sarah Quigley's The Conductor. Sharp  is rather miserly in his comments concluding his review with these two sentences - In the final analysis, it's a pretty good novel. The frustration is that it could have been a great one. 
Sharp and I differ entirely here. I rate it is a great novel and said so in my review on Radio New Zealand and on my blog.

1 comment:

Keri H said...

Really good portrait - and what fascinating ears!
They're nearly one 1/3rd the length of his head!
As for his work, dont want to comment-