Saturday, May 21, 2011

Al Brown blogs about his 'terrifying' exerience interviewing A.A.Gill

Interviewing A.A Gill at the Auckland Writers and Readers Festival


Terrified….
I can still recall the wave of nerves and churning stomach when phoned three months ago to gauge my interest in interviewing AA Gill. I had read many of his columns and restaurant reviews over the years, and was a huge fan, in a skim through sort of way of the the well-worn magazines such as Vanity Fair, GQ and Australian Gourmet Traveller, trying to relax before the inevitable: ‘come through Mr. Brown’ at a dentist or doctor appointment.


I have always found his columns totally engaging. I love his wit, his intellect and brilliant turn of phrase. I have to admit there has also always been this selfish indulgence and slightly ugly side of me that has found pleasure, in a safe waiting room on the other side of the world, in reading his brutally honest reviews where he can simply dismantle, crucify and rip every shred of a restaurant’s efforts into confetti.

Now I do not by any stretch particularly enjoy public speaking. However whether I enjoy it or not, it is part and parcel of what I do. It’s sort of a love hate scenario. I hate the thought of it all, but love the feeling of taming or overcoming my nerves. If I have a chopping board, knife and a fish in front of me and I’m there to talk food and demonstrate a recipe, I can natter on happily and I’m relatively comfortable in my environment. In fact surrounded by the props of my trade and head full of stories and anecdotes I actually quite enjoy entertaining an audience.

However interviewing Mr. AA Gill in front of a very large crowd at the Auckland Aotea Centre for an hour and a half was a completely different kettle of fish. I said yes to the request for a number of reasons. Firstly it’s great to be asked, secondly meeting Adrian in person is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and then lastly if I had said no I would have beaten myself up time and time again for not having the courage or guts to overcome my fears.

Read the full, wonderful story on Al Brown's Blog.

No comments: