Wednesday, April 06, 2011

FOR SALE - BEAUTIFUL, SUCCESSFUL, INDEPENDENT ANGLOPHONE BOOKSHOP

My eyes were arrested by this advertisement in the 31 March 2011 edition of the London Review of Books.

Here is the wording of the advertisement under the above heading:

in the Marais district of Paris.
The bookshop opened in 2001, and is the nyumber one in the DK Top Ten Guide to Paris, and is a favourite of Lonely Planet Paris, and Rick Steven's Paris.
250,000 Euros - contact
The Red Wheelbarrow Bookshop,
22 rue St.Paul,
75004 Paris
good.reading@wanadoo.fr

Gosh, that is tempting! The Bookman has visited The Red Wheelbarrow Bookshop on two occasions and was greatly impressed both times with the wide range of English language titles available, and their excellent stock of children's books. Great location too.
That is me you can see in the doorway in the photograph below.

2 comments:

jonathan@verismo.co.nz said...

OK Bookman let's do it, 50/50. What an adventure that would be! Jonathan

Penelope said...

Hello - this is just to say that the bookshop still has not found a buyer and the price has dropped down to 100,000 euros and it is obviously able to go down a little further - in France you buy the place, the name, the bookshelves and the reputation - you don't buy the business behind it - so you get a fresh start - if you know someone out there who would love to be a bookseller and has the time, opportunity and money to do this - the lifestyle in Paris is worth it. I loved running this bookshop and it is now an empty shell of what it once was with plenty of customers coming in daily - I think the right person(s) will know who they are - they just need to be found. When I found the original location of the bookshop - I knew immediately that it was right - of course I still had to get funding, which I did,- but it is like the matrix - you have to believe you can do it - and I did, and this bookshop is ten years proof of it working. People still buy books and they will continue to do so - I am leaving the bookshop because I have to leave Paris - the bookshop has about another two weeks to two months maximum left to find a buyer. Please contact me on the bookshop email : good.reading@wanadoo.fr - and thank you Bookman for helping me! Penelope