Sunday, November 07, 2010

Meet Y.A author Michael Grant

Michael Grant (left) is the author of the current best-selling Young Adult series, Gone, the story of a society where anyone aged 15 or older has disappeared.
There are three books in the series, #1 Gone; #2 Hunger and #3 Lies, with another three to come.

In his own words:
Mostly I write. Type type type. With two fingers. I sit on my porch drinking coffee and smoking a cigar and type type type. Sometimes I go to a coffee shop and type type type. Occasionally when I get really excited about what I'm writing I can engage a third finger.

Hmmm. That's boring, isn't it? So. Okay. I'm sitting on my porch type type typing when a car pulls onto my street. I don't recognize the car and the driver is in shadow, but something about the tilt of his head, his silhouette . . . I'm over the railing, spilling coffee and MacBook before he can squeeze the trigger. I hit the dirt as the bullet hits the railing. But that was my one trick used up. Now I'm flat on my back with no cover but a shrub and he has plenty of bullets, a clear sightline and nothing but time.

I've published 150 kid books under 11 different names. These include (with my lovely wife, K.A. Applegate,) the ANIMORPHS series, EVERWORLD, BOYFRIENDS/GIRLFRIENDS, and even, early on, back in the so-poor-we'd-write-anything days, SWEET VALLEY TWINS. My career runs from Jessica Wakefield's first period, to crazy fights between Bengal tigers and razor-covered aliens.

I retired from writing for a couple years, did some other things, including producing documentaries. Now I'm back writing. (insert shameless plug here) I have a six book series called GONE.

Michael Grant will be at The Children's Bookshop on Tuesday November 9th from 4pm to 4.30pm to meet his readers and sign copies of his books.

The Children's Bookshop
Shop 26 Kilbirnie Plaza
Kilbirnie
Wellington
t 04 3873905
e:childbkwgtn@xtra.co.nz
http://www.thechildrensbookshop.co.nz/

No comments: