Wednesday, September 01, 2010

IN PRAISE OF PUBLISHERS


"And yet, as I read the crowing of Seth Godin, Ray Connolly and the various other authors who are suddenly turning their backs on their publishers and going solo; and as I hear the rising chorus of abuse directed at the women and men (mostly women) who toil in the world's--I dunno? Third-? Fourth-?--oldest profession--I'm pretty sure which side of the barricades I belong on. You see, I love my publishers. Absolutely adore them. Couldn't live without them. Furthermore, I think anyone who willingly abandons theirs in favor of self-publishing, is either delusional, a peremptory jackass--or both."

--Paul Carr in his weekly TechCrunch column headed:
"A Modest Proposal for Authors Who Abandon Their Publishers--Give Me a Break"

Paul Carr's most book, to quote himself, is "The Kings of the Road Club -  the story of how I came to have that slightly curious lifestyle, and the ludicrous events that followed. It will be published in November 2010 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson". 

No comments: