Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bookselling, it’s in the bone
Submitted by Laura Jenkinson  12 August 2010
The Bookshop Blog

At the end of my interview for Blackwell’s, at its famous Broad Street flagship bookshop in historic Oxford, I was asked, “Where do you see yourself in ten years time?”

It was early 2004. I was a few months out of Durham University, with a degree in English Studies with Classics. Straight after graduating I’d almost literally fallen into a four month stint at the Bloomsbury branch of Waterstones, one of the largest academic bookshops in Europe, before I moved to Oxford to become big in publishing. Now I was in Oxford, and the publishing trail had run cold; I was apparently either too inexperienced, or, confusingly, too experienced, to suit any of the roles I’d applied for. I still needed to pay the rent. Bookselling, no matter how insanely poorly-paid, appeared again on my horizon.

I answered the question tactically.
“With my own bookshop.”
Thus I ticked the box, and was led away to begin my bookselling career proper.

This is an interesting story, to read it link here.

No comments: