Tuesday, June 08, 2010


Tuesday, June 8, 2010
from Mary Mc Callum's blog:










Tuesday Poem: 

Pink T-Shirt
he liked to arrive at her door
ring the bell and wait

to see her face above him at the window
the eyes widen, the mouth an oh!

look through the keyhole
to see the joy of her

running down the stairs in a pink t-shirt
cupping each large unruly breast

not enough hands
to stop the smile on her face

                                   
                                   Mary McCallum


Mary writes: I wrote this poem over twenty years ago living in London. It is a true story told to me by my best friend's boyfriend. Sandra, my friend, was and remains to this day the personification of that gorgeous thing we call 'joy'.

Looking at the poem now, I see how slight it is and I am tempted to tinker, but to do that twenty years on makes it no longer 'Pink T-Shirt' but something else. It's as if lying in a folder with other unpublished poems all this time has set the words as jelly sets - it is no longer liquid to be stirred. I'm okay with that.



Tuesday Poem blog.

 Footnote:

Mary McCallum & the Tuesday Poem Blog
Author Mary McCallum, (left), chats with Helen Lowe of Women on Air (Plains 96.9 FM) about her new creative initiative, the Tuesday Poem Blog.

http://plainsfm.org.nz/on-demand/woa-marymccallum-5june/


No comments: