Monday, February 08, 2010

BEST SELLLERS 1972

I was intrigued by this list in the NZ Herald this morning. I was a bookseller in Napier way back then and I recall all but two of these titles. Two from Galilee and Semi-Tough are the two of which I have no memory.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach
August, 1914 - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
The Odessa File - Frederick Forsyth
The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
The Word - Irving Wallace
The Winds of War - Herman Wouk
Captains and the Kings - Taylor Caldwell
Two from Galilee - Marjorie Holmes
Semi-Tough - Dan Jenkins
I'm OK, You're OK. - Thomas Harris
Dr.Atkins' Diet Revolution - Robert. C. Atkins
The Peter Prescription - Lawrence J. Peter

Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a real phenomenon of the time - I seem to reall it sold over a million copies a year for about three years following publication and it may well still sell today?

No comments: