Saturday, January 09, 2010

I-Spy children's books make a comeback

The 'I-Spy' books are set to return to shop shelves more than half a century after they first became a family hit.


Published. The Telegraph: 08 Jan 2010

The pocket-sized books, which were first available in 1948, were used to entertain millions of children on long car journeys throughout the 50s, 60s and 70s.

With titles like I-Spy Cars, I-Spy in the Country and I-Spy on the Road, youngsters were challenged to look for items in the books as they travelled and then tick them off.
Once a child had spied every object in a book they sent them off and were rewarded with a special 'I-Spy' badge.
The badges are now collectors items on internet auction site eBay.

After a prolonged absence a new range of I-Spy books is hitting the shelves of stores nationwide, including Waterstones and WHSmith.
Amazon, the online retailer, will also stock the £2.50 books which are being released by Michelin, which bought the 'I-Spy' title in 1991.

The firm kept publishing the books but they finally disappeared from shelves in 2002 after years of dwindling sales.

Ian Murray, Michelin head of Maps & Guides UK, said when he came into his new role three years ago, one of his first tasks was to look into bringing I-Spy books back.

He said: "People say that children have changed and don't want this kind of thing anymore but I'm not so sure that's true.
"Children are still children and they are still inquisitive and love a challenge. With a world dominated by computer games and television, I-Spy books encourage kids to get outside and find out more about what's around them.
"I'm in my 50s now so I can remember these books from my childhood. They were originally designed to keep kids entertained on long journeys.

"They were as big and as sought after as the Janet and John books. Even now they are so iconic and important for Britain. I firmly believe children will love them now as much as they did when they were first released."

The new titles include I-Spy on a Car Journey, I-Spy Cars, I-Spy Birds, I-Spy Nature and I-Spy Creepy Crawlies.

A Waterstones spokeswoman said sales have been "remarkable" since the books' were re-launched in December.
The I-Spy books were created by Charles Warrell in 1948.
The Telegraph.

No comments: