Saturday, November 07, 2009


From Publishing Perpectives
In Praise of the Lowly Chapbook
Editorial by Bryce Milligan (pic left)

SAN ANTONIO: As a regional publisher whose books range from handmade chapbooks to 600-page works of fiction and history, I have been wondering what will become of the physical book in this brave new digital world. Already my paper-and-ink sales are declining as my ebook sales increase-except for, of all things, the lowly chapbook. I began to wonder why this might be, and what it portends.
I am an author, an editor, a publisher, a book designer. I'm married to a librarian. My century-old house doesn't have insulation, it has books. I'm a poster child for a little bibliophilic introspection.
(read on ...)

Bonus Material: A Tale of Two Chapbooks
By Edward Nawotka

As discussed in our lead article today, Bryce Milligan outlines the appeal of chapbooks in an increasingly digital world. These artisanal, often hand-finished books can be pricey, but make for lovely collectibles. By way of illustration, we offer two examples on offer from Milligan's Wings Press:

(click here for the titles)

No comments: