Sunday, September 13, 2009


Most of us love RICKY GERVAIS from his almost cringe-inducing turn as boss David Brent in the hit British TV series The Office as well as his hilarious live-stand up comedy performances.

Now this talented funny-man has now turned his hand to children’s publishing?

In October 2009 Walker Books is publishing FLANIMALS and here’s what Ricky had to say about it.
Ricky Gervais Q&A


So what exactly are ‘flanimals’?
They are not exactly anything. That’s they’re biggest problem. They are approximately many things though. Some of them are other things too. And one of them is exactly nothing. That one has never been spotted though.

Are any of the flanimals based on your friends/family?
Not really. Although the Print looks a bit like Steve Merchant. But I created that about 15 years before meeting Steve. I have started to look more and more like the Puddloflaj.

Which flanimal is most like you?
I suppose I’m a bit like the Grundit, always annoying people. I have been known to squeeze heads and wrestle mates to the floor.

You have some very unusual character names in Flanimals, where did these come from?
Some of them I just like the sound of. Like Blunging, and Splunge. Some of the names suggest characteristics, like Munge Fuddler who, clearly fuddles munges or Plamglotis- it’s hands are stuck down it’s throat. So, palm becomes plam and glotis is taken from epiglottis.

What was it like seeing Flanimals in 3D for the first time?
I thought it was the best pop up book I’d ever seen. The engineering was really impressive and dynamic. Who is your favourite comedy character in a children’s book?
Balloo from The Jungle Book. I also like The Cat in the Hat, and lots of The Mr Men.

If you could be any character from any children’s book, who would you be?
Probably Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn

Both children and adults love Flanimals, who did you have in mind when you came up with the idea?
Children, without a doubt. But I didn’t want to patronise. I also wanted them to ask awkward questions to their parents who would be struggling with pronunciation.

Who will you be giving the Flanimals Pop-up to this Christmas?
Nelson Mandela. He loves those little guys.

Any news on the Flanimals movie?
I am developing it now with the guys who made The Simpson’s Movie. We are throwing around casting ideas at the moment and I have amazingly secured the lead role of Puddy.
How do I do it?
I’ll tell you how I do it. It’s my idea and I’m executive producer. That’s how. Puddy by the way is a puddloflaj who thinks there should be more to life than just being eaten.

No comments: