Monday, September 07, 2009

From Publishing Perpectives:
No Truth in Travel
By James E. McWilliams

AUSTIN, TEXAS: When news arrived that I'd received a modest advance for a book I was writing on global agriculture - published this month as Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong And How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly by Little, Brown in the USA - my first thought was: "Where's my passport?!?!"
With the upfront cash I'd travel the globe on a research/pleasure excursion, interviewing fish farmers in Java, lamb producers in New Zealand, papaya growers in Hawaii, and, on the way home, plant biologists at Berkeley and sugar beet growers in Colorado.
Naturally, a book tour would follow, thus requiring me to accumulate even more frequent flyer miles. I'd escape the fierce heat of the Texas summer where I live and entertain audiences in Portland, Chicago, Asheville, and New York City. (read on ...)

No comments: