Friday, April 17, 2009

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

'My Field of Dreams'

"The Brooklyn Public Library's main branch at Grand Army Plaza was my field of dreams.
I met Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren there, Studs Lonigan by James T. Farrell, and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. That library introduced me to Chaim Potok's book The Chosen, as well as to Richard Wright's Native Son.
In a tough neighborhood the library can be a refuge, a safe place. But it is also a place to dream of fitting in and understanding others who don't fit in. And for me it was also a place to dream of being a writer."


Wonderful quote from Juan Williams, (pic left), news analyst for NPR, political analyst for Fox News and author of six books, speaking to the Washington Post's Short Stack excellent book blog.

No comments: