Wednesday, March 04, 2009


From David Geary on the Words on Wheels Tour

David Geary photo (left) by Robert Cross

WOW: DAY 2 - The Most Terrifying Sentence in the English Language…

…and now the writer will read from their work. Well, that’s the fear, isn’t it? We’ve all been there. Watching our favourite author slowly put their own work to death in a public forum. Fortunately, I am among gifted writers who charm our audiences. And the fear is all mine. How to compete? I claim the disadvantage that as a scriptwriter my plays are meant to be performed so rope in the others to do readings of my work, which are shambolic but fun. And allow me to concentrate on the more important incidentals.

Breakfast – lambs’ fry and bacon pie at Darfield Bakery and Expresso. Tasty as.

Tai Tapu Library plaque – Through the inspiration of Alfred Ernest Lowe this library was erected from funds raised by the sale of seedling daffodils grown at OTAHUNA where for 30 years he was head gardener.

Penny Farthing enthusiasts on their annual excursion from Mt Cook to Christchurch, with little in the way of braking. I’m desperate to ask if I can have a go but at $6000 a bike I’d hate to do this wondrous machine an injury, let alone myself.

West Melton Primary school. The back wall is covered in positive affirmations about how to stop bullying. There’s rumours a teacher has been stabbed in Avondale. But the kids are a joy, and the most wounding question we face is – How can I ever get published? None of us can bring ourselves to say we sometimes struggle ourselves. We positively affirm all their creative output. They love books and especially their mobile library. I’m heartened to find they still read Tom Sawyer, and recall how we had a real dead rat in our re-enactment of the whitewashing the fence scene at my Rangiwahia primary.

Rolleston Tui Pub. Vanda breaks on the pool table and fails to hit a single ball. The boys are encouraging. Then lose 2-1 when Anna MacKenzie reveals she is Paul Newman reincarnated in The Hustler #3. Boys are discouraged and secretly vow revenge.

Methven – amazing ginger crunch. I’m saddened that the local theatre group only does Brit farces, but they have heard of Carl Nixon and how well his plays do at the Court, so there’s hope… I get everyone to read from my play A MAN WALKS INTO A BAR, and dedicate it to Hamner.

Back at the motel we have a sedate sesh and swap goss. I say scandalous things about Kiri Te Kanawa and ex-Shortland St stars. And how writing for the widely acclaimed worst show in NZ TV history, Melody Rules, doesn’t mean your career is over. As Nietzsche said – what does not kill us makes us stronger. I’ve come along way – tomorrow Geraldine Fairlie. A great name for a character, and one time home to Jack Lovelock. I go to sleep fretting about how much I can gossip about their favourite son?

- David Geary

No comments: