Monday, July 14, 2008

BOOKSELLERS READY TO WRITE NEW CHAPTER

Headline story in NZ Herald Business section this morning on the future of bookselling in New Zealand.

Make no mistake, books are big business.
Last year, the New Zealand consumer spend on books and similar merchandise topped $1 billion for the first time - capping off a trend of phenomenal growth that seems, for the moment, immune to the speed wobbles hitting other retailers.
But data from Statistics New Zealand shows that newspaper, book and stationery retailing sales fell in March by 2.4 per cent from the same month a year earlier - the first decline since November 2006.


Pic shows Tom & Helen from The Booklover, Takapuna and Dear Reader, Grey Lynn. Tom is quoted in the Herald story along with representatives from Dymocks and Paper Plus.
Here is Tom, in part, from the Herald story:
"The chains in the last few years haven't quite done the public relations side as well as they should, in spite of a lot of marketing dollars put behind them. It's the independents that have flourished because they've developed a very, very strong, loyal base which I don't think is going to move away from them for any reason.
"People do like good service and knowledgeable staff. And individuals with a passion for books."
Beran does not feel threatened by the expansion of the big booksellers.
Good on you Tom !!
EXPANSION PLANS
A&R Whitcoulls
: The Borders and Whitcoulls owner wants to expand into small-town New Zealand.
Dymocks: Opening two new stores in Auckland in August. Has plans to expand into the South Island next year.
Paper Plus: Refitting 105 stores.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Tom, right on.
Give me a knowledgeable, passionate bookseller any day and I'll gladly forego the occasional discount the chains seem to feel the need to offer.

Anonymous said...

I am a book buyer, I spend much of my working life in Christchurch and Wellington, and also travel a great deal so need plenty of reading material.
In Wellington I buy my books at Unity and in Christchurch at UBS, Ilam. They are both wonderful bookshops with especially knowledgeable staff and a great depth of stock. Every time I visit one of them I thank my lucky stars for their existence. Long may the independent bookseller thrive. I am encouraged by Tom Beran's comments as reported on the Herald and on your excellent blog as I have always regarded independent booksellers as something of an endangered species.