Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Web Habits of Highly Effective People

The Internet has changed the way we consume information, what we know and when we know it. In the age of the iPhone and the BlackBerry, some people are cyber-slaves. Others have web rituals and routines. Granta asked some highly effective people in literature, journalism and publishing to reveal their web habits. Here’s what they had to say:
A.L. Kennedy: novelist
My emails take an hour or so every day. If I’m at home, that’s how I start my morning. And I’ll admit, I would completely lose touch with my friends if I didn’t have Internet contact. I try to keep a percentage of the email use human and positive. Unless I’m really avoiding work, I restrain web browsing to a reasonable level – one hour maximum, unless there’s a very good reason for staying on longer. Abe and Amazon would be regular hits – sometimes for reference, sometimes for purchases. Regular emails come to me from Utne Reader (some decent articles), Greg Palast (always interesting political journalism), Information Clearing House (excellent daily sampler of political journalism from around the world), Lew Rockwell (largely insane articles). For relaxation there’s Comedy Central and Lime Wire – I avoid going anywhere near YouTube because that can eat up a day. I don’t blog or Facebook. If I want to write, I’d rather do it to some kind of definable end.
There are many other thoughtful contributions, to read the full story link here to GRANTA online.

No comments: