Saturday, June 09, 2007



PETA MATHIAS, PROLIFIC AUTHOR BUT SO MUCH MORE AS WELL.

I always think of Peta Mathias first and foremost as an author because she is a prolific writer, both of books and for newspapers and magazines.

Some of her books include Fete Accomplie, Don't Get Saucy With Me Bernaise, Salut, Burnt Barley, Sirocco (my favourite), and Noodle Pillows.

But of course in addition to being a distinguished author she is also a culinary crusader, chef, TV presenter and in additon runs cookery schools in France.

She has been in my mind these past couple of weeks with TVOne replaying the truly wonderful 2004 series Taste Takes Off. What a joy it has been to watch this brilliant and hugely entertaining television with Peta travelling to places far and wide - the Greek Islands, Vietnam, Vancouver, Singpore and many other exotic locales. In each place she meets up with local chefs, farmers, cafe owners - anyone and everyone involved in the local cuisine - and then she puts her own twist on what she has seen and heard and makes a dish on location which, without exception, left me licking my lips.

I don't normally watch television at 5.30pm but when its this good I quickly make an exception!

Well done Peta, and thank you TVNZ for this replaying stunning series. Bravo.

We must be well overdue for a new series. What about it TVNZ?

No comments: