Friday, March 09, 2007



MAGAZINES

I have to confess to being something of a magazine-aholic.

I have subscriptions to the Listener, Metro and Citymix, (the two Auckland city magazines), NZ Home and Entertaining, Cuisine, Healthy Food, The New Yorker, NBR, Art New Zealand, Wine New Zealand

And then from time to time I buy The Bulletin, Time, The Economist, Australian Gourmet Traveller, Delicious, Dish, The Independent, Winestate, ArtNews New Zealand, Urbis,Vanity Fair and others.

Then of course there are the magazines you get as a result of various memberships –Forest & Bird, NZ Historic Places Trust., Slow Food and the like.

In addition because she works in the fashion industry Annie buys a host of fashion magazines each month.

Our home is constantly in danger of being overwhelmed by books and magazines. The good thing about magazines is that you can pass them on to others after reading although I keep my copies of both Cuisine and The New Yorker.

One of my quotes this week is from Samuel Pepys, “I know not how to abstain from reading.”
I know exactly how Pepys felt.
I find myself feeling very fidgety if I am ever without something to read. I especially hate it if I am waiting to meet someone or waiting for an appointment or bus or if I arrive at the cinema or theatre early and I have nothing to read ……………………




Last night I read the Time magazine issue of March 12 with the gorgeous apple cover, (Forget organic, eat local), and made a start on The Economist of March 3-9.

Actually I should only buy The Economist when I am setting off on a long international flight as there is just so much to read in each issue that I hardly ever get right through them otherwise.

Time magazine has a fascinating double page piece on Shanghai’s Art Deco buildings – they have more than any other city in the world I was surprised to learn – which was done by way of a book review, SHANGHAI ART DECO by Deke Erh and Tess Johnston, their eighth collaboration.
Read the whole review, it is worth it.

The Economist has four pages of book reviews among them The Thyssen Art Macabre by David R.L.Litchfield (Quartet Books), Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday (Weidenfeld & Nicolson), and an Australian title, Carpentaria by Alexis Wright (Giramanda Press).

No comments: